TOROS UNIVERSITY – APPLICATION AND ENROLLMENT INSTRUCTION FOR
STUDENTS FROM ABROAD
Aim, Scope, Foundation, and Definitions
Aim and Scope
ITEM 1- This instruction includes application and enrollment requirements of foreign students for associate degree and bachelor degree programs of Toros University.
ITEM 2-This instruction is based on 2922nd item of Law “Instruction for foreign students who study in Turkey” and the student acceptance principles which have been arranged according to Higher Education General Meeting decisions.
ITEM 3-The definitions in this instruction are;
a) Candidate: A foreign student who applies one of the Toros University units.
b) Unit: Faculty, college and vocational school which is connected with Toros University,
c) Student: A foreign student whose application have been accepted to the one of Toros University units.
d) Student Relationships Department: Toros University Student Relationships Department.
e) Program: Programs of education for associate degree and bachelor degree.
f) Rector: Rector of Toros University,
g) Senate: Senate of Toros University,
h) University: Toros University,
i) University Administrative Body: Toros University Administrative Body.
Principles about Foreign Student Acceptance
Main principles for application
ITEM 4- Candidates who are in the senior year of high school or who have graduated from high school and candidates and candidates who have the enough point requirements from the list in appendix can apply to the programs which university declared to accept foreign students.
1) On condition that they are in the senior year of high school or they are about to graduate;
a) People who are from foreign nationalities,
b) If they report that they have the related document 5203 Law’s Rights Use, people who have been Turkish citizen since birth and who have the permission “declaration of alienage”, and these citizens’ children who are not enrolled in Turkish declaration of alienage document and not over 18 years old;
c) People who were from foreign nationalities and then who had the right of Turkish Republic citizenship,
d) Turkish citizens who have completed their high school’s last three years in a foreign country except for Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus,
e) Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus citizens’ applications, who live and who have completed their high school education in there, are accepted if they have GCE AL results.
2) From candidates,
a) Turkish Republic citizens, (except that they have completed their high school education’s last three years in a country rather than Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus)
b) Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus citizens (except that they have graduated from Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus high schools and they have GCE AL scores)
c) People who have two nationalities and one of his/her nationalities is Turkish (except that they have completed their high school education’s last three years in a country rather than Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus)
d) People who have two nationalities and one of his/her nationalities is Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus (except that they have graduated from Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus high schools and they have GCE AL scores)
e) Turkish citizens who have graduated from high school in Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus
f) People who have disciplinary actions and who have been expelled in one of the higher education institutions in Turkey.
Prior Requirements for Application
ITEM 5- (1). The following things are prior requirements for candidates who are going to apply:
a) Having the conditions in this instructions’ 4th item,
b) Having the minimum points from the exams, which are listed in instruction appendix.
The Exams Which Can Be Used For Application and Their Base Points
ITEM 6-(1) As for the acceptance of the foreign students, the expected minimum points according to the applied program type and the lists of the national or international exams are illustrated in Appendix 1.
(2) The exams for university entrance (SAT, YÖGS etc. ) have 2 years of validity. If it is required, this list can be renewed by senate.
(3) Exams in the level of high school graduation are valid forever, while exams in the level of university entrance are valid for 2 years.
(4) The table about the base points of the exams, which is prepared in Appendix 1, can be changed via senate decision.
ITEM 7-(1) The student quota for foreign students acceptance is identified by University Senate through asking related academic parts and it is presented to Higher Education Council’s approval for every education term.
(2) University is free to fill in or not to fill in the declared quota. If required, there may be quota transfers among programs.
ITEM 8-(1) Application conditions identified by Senate, application dates, application documents and quotas approved by Higher Education Council are all declared via university website in the dates determined in academic calendar of the university.
(2) Applications are done between the determined dates to the Student Relationships Department via post (except for e-mail), through online web page and in person.
(3) Because of delay in post, the application documents received later than application deadline cannot be accepted.
Documents Required for Application
ITEM 9- (1) Documents required for application are as follows:
a) Foreign student application form,
b) Approved copy of high school diploma, or if they haven’t received their diplomas yet, they need to give a formal document from their high schools which will show their graduation date.
c) The original version of their grade average document or its approved copy which has been translated into Turkish or English.
d) Passport copy,
e) 2 headshots,
f) The original version of exam result or its approved copy,
g) Application notification form filled by the candidate. During the process of filling the concerned form, candidates can choose at most three departments or faculties that admit students according to equally-weighted and quantitative scores in University Entrance Examination.
(2) Documents submitted to Student Affairs Directorate will be received for the application file and will not be given back in any conditions.
Admissions and Application Conditions
ITEM 10- (1) With an aim to evaluate applications of international students, the International Student Admission Commission that will include one lecturer from each academic department is constituted by School Board of Directors .The applications of the candidates will be evaluated as main, reserved and refused ones by the Commission.
(2) The International Student Admission Commission will make the decision on placements, taking into consideration measurements such as success of the candidate in national/international examinations, diploma grade and the place of the school that the candidate graduated in national and international rankings.
(3) The decisions of the International Student Admission Commission will be presented to the relevant Faculty Board of Directors. If necessary, the International Student Admission Commission will consult the Directorate of the department and inform the Directorate of the department about evaluation process.
(4) Reserved candidates that have conditional admissions will be accepted as the main candidates when they meet the mentioned conditions.
(5) Candidates applying for the departments that admit students according to Special Skills Examination are expected to be successful. Their results in the Special Skills Examination will be evaluated in accordance with the criteria set down in the directives which relate to the Special Skills Examination.
(6) Meeting application conditions does not guarantee the admission to the program.
(7) Students who have been successful in their applications will be sent a letter of acceptance
from Student Affairs Directorate via e-mail. They will be asked to state whether they will come. A formal acceptance letter will be sent to these candidates in order to enable them to obtain their visa.
ITEM 11- (1) Students that are admitted will register by applying Student Affairs Directorate on the dates determined on academic calendar.
(2) Documents Required for Applications;
a) Original High School Diploma,
b) “Equivalency Certificate” from the Turkish Embassy or the Turkish Consulate or Turkish Republic Ministry of Education to show equivalency of the diploma with high school diplomas received from Turkish high schools,
c) Original and approved copy (translated into Turkish or English) of the Certificate of Transcript from the Turkish Embassy or the Turkish Consulate,
d) Original and approved copy (translated into Turkish or English) of the examination result from the Turkish Embassy or the Turkish Consulate,
e) Notarized copies of passport that show identification information or identification card,
f) A bank receipt proving that the application fee has been paid,
g) “Student Visa” from the Turkish Embassy or the Turkish Consulate,
h) 6 photographs,
i) if there is, a valid proficiency certificate in Foreign Language and Turkish,
j) identification number for foreign students,
k) document of a health insurance that is valid during education of the student,
l) a document that proves the student has sufficient funds to cover the costs of
(3) Students that have a certificate showing their Turkish origin have to submit this certificate during registration.
Any documents that students will submit later will not change their status that they have during their registration.
(4) Among students that are admitted, the ones that do not register on determined dates will not have a right to register at another time.
Language and Education
ITEM 12- (1) Because the language of instruction constitutes at least %30 English in departments in which English is the medium of instruction, students admitted to Toros university according to this Directive, students that cannot prove their English proficiency with any kinds of language certificates accepted by Senate and the ones that fail in English Proficiency Exam at the beginning of academic year will be accepted to English Preparatory Program.
(2) During registration, students that present any kinds of language certificate accepted by Senate will be exempted from English Preparatory class and will start their Bachelor’s Degree Program directly.
3) For the departments whose medium of instruction is Turkish, Turkish proficiency level of the students will be determined according to the results of Turkish Proficiency Exam. Students that fail in this examination will be permitted to improve their Turkish and will be able to start their education by receiving a certificate from TÖMER or showing success in Turkish Proficiency Exam that will be held at the beginning of second academic term.
Article 13- The examinations of foreign students are done according to the regulations for Associate and Bachelor’s Degree Program and Examinations.
Article 14– Education in Toros University is subject to a fee. The tuition fees for foreign students are determined by Board of Trustees and announced on the web page of Toros University.
Miscellaneous and Final Provisions
Article 15 – In cases for which no provision has been made in this Directive, senate decisions will be applied in accordance with Law No 2922, Directive on Admissions to Associate and Bachelor's Degree Programs for International Students, principals based on a decision in the meeting of Higher Education council on 17th May 2010 and principals concerning admissions of international students.
Article 16 – This directive shall come into force on the date of the decision being taken by the Senate.
Article 17 – This directive is enacted by the Rector of Toros University.
CURRENT TESTS FOR THE APPLICATION AND BASE POINTS
At Toros University, in evaluating prospective students’ applications, validity period of tests (SAT, TCS etc.) which are at the status of university entrance exam is two years.
Examination for Students from Turkic Republics (TCS)
The minimum score obtained from examination for students from Turkic Republics (TCS), Basic Learning Skills Test held outside of Turkey is 60.
Student Selection and Placement Examination (ÖSYS)
Having obtained score that would be sufficient for placement to the program applied for in ÖSYS of the previous year.
STUDY IN TURKEY
Mersin, located in the Mediterranean Region, is an excellent city of Turkey with its deep blue sea, verdant plateu and fragnant orange blossom. Toros University is a city university and is located in the city center. Our students can easily benefit from the social facilities of the city. Our University has two campus; one is 45 Evler and the other is Bahçelievler Campus.
Bahçelievler Campus: It is 60 minutes away from Adana Şakirpaşa Airport, 15 minutes away from Mersin Train Station, 20 minutes away from Mersin Bus Terminal, 2 minutes away from Mersin Palm City Shopping Mall, 3 minutes away from Mersin Forum Shopping Mall and 5 minutes away from our Dormitory.
45 Evler Campus: The Campus is 60 minutes away from Adana Şakirpaşa Airport, 15 minutes away from Mersin Train Station, 20 minutes away from Mersin Bus Terminal, 2 minutes away from Mersin Palm City Shopping Mall, 3 minutes away from Mersin Forum Shopping Mall and 10 minutes away from our Dormitory.
Beside the dormitories that belong to the Credit and Dormitories Institution, there are many private dormitories in the city as well. There are also many dwelling houses built for students. Students may also benefit from the houses for rent in seaside resorts that may be rented off-season.