MUSTAFA KEMAL UNIVERSITY
VOCATIONAL SCHOOL AND GRADUATE DEGREE
ACCEPTANCE GUIDE OF FOREIGN STUDENTS
Aim, Covering, Basis and Definitions
ITEM 1 - (1) The aim of this guideline is to determine the application and principles related to the acceptance of foreign students into vocational schools and graduate programs at Mustafa Kemal University.
ITEM 2 - (1) This guideline regulates the applications along with registration and application conditions to Mustafa Kemal University within foreign student quota allocated for Faculty/Colleges/Vocational Colleges defined by Higher Education Institute.
ITEM 3 - (1) This guideline has been prepared considering regulations related to the application of foreign students, which was accepted at the meeting on the 13.02.2013 by Higher Education Plenary Committee.
ITEM 4 - (1) The terms in the regulation convey;
a) University : Mustafa Kemal University
b) Rectorate : Mustafa Kemal University Rectorate
c) Senate : Mustafa Kemal University Senate
d) MKUYOS : The Exam for Foreign Students by Mustafa Kemal University
e) Foreign Student: the candidate who graduated from a school equal to Turkish High Schools under Ministry of Education giving education in Turkey but who are neither a member of Turkish Republic nor North Cyprus Turkish Republic; while for the ones one of whose citizenship is neither Turkish nor a member of North Cyprus Turkish Republic,
f) Guideline : The application and Registration Guidelines of the foreign students to Mustafa Kemal University.
Application, Compulsory Document, Evaluation, conditions of Education, Registration
Application and Compulsory Documents
ITEM 5 (1) The applications of the foreign student candidates will be admitted supposing that they would be at the last year of high school or graduates.
(2) The ones in the will of application;
a) Should be foreign,
b) The ones having permission to end Turkish citizenship from Ministry of Internal Affairs while Turkish by birth and those should prove to have documents related to given Rights for their children who are non-adult registered in seperation document from Turkish Citizenship under Turkish Citizenship Law, (In the item 7 in Turkish Citizenship Law with no 5901 “(1) The child born from Turkish father and mother under their marriage in Turkey or outside is a citizen of Turkey.” Provision exists, it is beneficial for the candidates applying to quotas from abroad to examine Turkish Citizenship.)
c) Should have two citizenships for the ones acquiring Turkish Republic citizenship through citizenship rights gained later while being foreign,
d) Should complete their whole primary and secondary education in a foreign country except North Cyprus Turkish Republic as having membership of Turkish Republic (including the ones completing their whole primary and secondary at Turkish schools in a foreign country except North Cyprus Turkish Republic),
e) Having membership of North Cyprus Turkish Republic; the ones who have residence permit in North Cyprus Turkish Republic and gain exam results at GCE AL completing their primary and secondary education in North Cyprus Turkish Republic along with the ones who have GCE AL exam results having education with the registration to colleges and high schools in other countries between the years 2005-2010 or should obtain the requirements to have.
a) who have completed their whole primary and secondary education in Turkey or North Cyprus Turkish Republic as having Turkish Republic citizenship,
b) The ones acquiring membership of North Cyprus Turkish Republic (having completed their whole primary and secondary education at high schools in North Cyprus Turkish Republic, the ones who have GCE AL score along with the ones who have GCE AL exam results having education with the registration to colleges and high schools in other countries between the years 2005-2010 or should obtain the requirements to have),
c) the ones whose first citizenship is Turkish Republic by birth having two citizenships defined in b agreement clause of item (2), (the ones completing their primary and secondary education in a foreign country except North Cyprus Turkish Republic / except the ones completing their whole primary and secondary at Turkish schools in a foreign country except North Cyprus Turkish Republic)
d) For the ones who have two citizenships one of which is North Cyprus Turkish Republic (except the ones completing their whole primary and secondary education at high schools in North Cyprus Turkish Republic have GCE AL score along with the ones who have GCE AL exam results having education with the registration to colleges and high schools in other countries between the years 2005-2010 or should obtain the requirements to have),
e) the ones having suspension from a higher education in Turkey due to discipline disorder,
f) The ones having a citizenship of Turkish Republic and having education at schools under the embassies in Turkey and foreign high schools in Turkey, or the ones having two citizenships whose first nationality is Turkish by birth defined in the clause 2 of item a,
(3) The explanations regarding selection of foreign students are going to be announced at the web page of the university in Internet (www.mku.edu.tr) in each May. Applications have to be made online on the web page of Mustafa Kemal University (www.mku.edu.tr), by post or personally to Department of Student Affairs.
(4) In the placement, MKUYOS scores, scores taken from exams shown in ATTACHMENT- 1 or the ones considered to be equal to MKUYOS by the committee are taken into consideration while Tubitak science awards are regarded when scores are same. There is not an expiry of the exams for the ones who are at the last year of high school, while exams of the ones taking university entrance exam may be used for two years.
(5) Applications are made with the original or certified copies by Turkish Republic notary and Turkish Embassy or Turkish Consulate;
a) Application form for foreign students (it can be reached from web page of university),
b) High school diploma: English or Turkish Certified copy of High school diploma or for the ones about to graguate document showing they are going to graduate,
c) Official Transcript (Transcript): The candidates have to present their official transcripts which Show the courses and scores the candidates have had during their high school period, and which are certified by high school Principal (If transcripts are not in Turkish, certified copy translated to Turkish has to be presented along with the original transcript).
d) The candidates having a gold, silver or bronze medal in International science Olympics TUBITAK regards and joins,
e) Copy of identity page of passport,
f) Bank receipt proving the payment,
g) Two photographs (should be taken within 6 months),
h) Envelope on which the mailing address of the candidate has been written.
Mustafa Kemal University Foreign Student Exam (MKUYOS)
ITEM 6 (1) Mustafa Kemal University Foreign Student Selection and Placement Exam, “Basic Learning Skills Test (BST)”, includes questions aiming to assess abstract thinking power, mental and questioning skills of the candidates.
This test depends on language use a little while there are Turkish and English explanations. The questions belonging to the tests applied at MKUYOS will be given to the candidates in a booklet during the exam. All the questions in the Exam Booklet contain the ones in “multiple choice” type.
Application to the Exam
ITEM 7 (1) Applications have to be made online on the web page of Mustafa Kemal University (www.mku.edu.tr), by post or personally to Department of Student Affairs.
(2) Candidates applying to MKUYOS have to pay the fee of the exam into the requested bank account of Department of Strategy Development at Mustafa Kemal University. Exam application cannot be persecuted without payment of the fee. Application made without payment of applications will not be evaluated.
Announcement for the Exam
ITEM 8 (1) Building and class where candidates are going to take exam will be announced on the web page of the university, www.mku.edu.tr, following the end of applications.
Evaluation of the Exam
ITEM 9 (1) True and false answers, the candidates gave to the questions at MKUYOS, will be counted one by one differently. MKUYOS score will be calculated as one fourth of false answers will be subtracted from true answers.
(2) Foreign student candidates applying to programs getting students with Special Skill Exam have to have a valid exam score from MKUYOS or an international exam. The evaluation of applications made to departments at the university getting students with a special skill exam is carried according to regulations in registration and acceptance of applicants with special skill exam by related faculty/college. The evaluation of such candidates will be made regarding 30% of the score at Basic Learning Skill Test, 70% of the score at skill test. The candidate having not taken special skill exam will lose his/her right to be a candidate student.
Announcement of the exam results
ITEM 10 (1) The results are going to be announced in Announcement part at the web page of the university in Internet (www.mku.edu.tr), Department of Student Affairs, during the dates determined in exam and placement calendar.
ITEM 11 (1) The candidates having a valid score taken from MKUYOS or from an approved exams.
(2) The results of placement are going to be announced in Announcement part at the web page of the university in Internet (www.mku.edu.tr), Department of Student Affairs, during the dates determined in exam and placement calendar.
Minimum Lowest Scores and Requirements for Placement Application
ITEM 12 - (1) The candidates have to have one of the lowest scores defined in ATTACHMENT-1 in order to make placement application. Score of the candidates is calculated regarding the lowest Scores shown in ATTACHMENT-1 equal to MKUYOS lowest scores and they are used in placement.
Evaluation and Placement of Applications
ITEM 13 - (1) Quotas left for Foreign students are certified by Senate once they are determined by related Departments for all programs each year, and they are informed to Student Selection and Placement Center. Evaluation of foreign student candidates applying to Mustafa Kemal University and
placements to departments/programs are determined by the committee asigned by Rectorate regarding the scores and preference prioraties. The applications of the candidates not bearing application requirements will not be taken into consideration. Having application requirements solely does not supply the applicant with the right in placement. When no applications are made to such quotas or they are not filled in, such quotas for programs except for the ones in the faculty of Medicine could be given to other programs by the decision of Senate unless they exceed 35% of quotas shown in the Guidance of OSYS Higher Education Programs and Quotas. The university has options to fill in the quotas or not.
(2) The number of foreign candidates from the same country admitted to a faculty, college or vocational college cannot exceed 20 % of the total quota. This condition loses its validity if quota is not fulfilled.
(3) Candidates make their selections during the certain dates shown on the calendar of Mustafa Kemal University Foreign Student Exam (MKUYOS) and Placement as mentioned in exam booklet.
(4) Candidates, having right to get registered to University, will be sent a Letter of Acceptance by Rectorate.
Registration and Necessary Documents
ITEM 14 - (1) Registrations are made to University, Department of Student Affairs during announced dates.
(2) Documents below are required for registration:
a) The original copy of high school diploma and “Certificate of Equivalence” taken from Turkish Embassy in their countries or Consulate, or Turkish Republic Ministry of Education or Directorships of Ministry of Education in each city showing it is equal to the diplomas received from Turkish high schools,
b) The original copy of exam result of MKUYOS or related ones,
c) The original copy of passport of the candidate and a paper in which the information part related to the candidate is translated into Turkish,
d) Bank receipt confirming the payment of the tuition fee has been paid to the alleged bank and in the certain dates,
e) “Education Visa” to be taken from Turkish Embassy in the countries of the candidates or the ones nearby,
f- The original certified copies of the documents of foreign language internationally approved and Turkish Competence Certificate by Turkish Embassy in their country or Consulate,
g- Residence of Permit,
h- Foreign identity number,
ı- Twelve photographs in size of 4,5 * 6,0 (photographs should be recognized easily and taken in six months).
i- A document the ones of Turkish origin can get from Embassy, Consulate so as to prove the Turkish originality in case they their nationality is not mentioned in their passports since they are going to pay the tuition fee determined by the Ministerial Cabinet,
(3) General Health Insurance for the students having been registered to university will be made by the university. However, it is the responsibility of the students to pay the insurance bill of general health insurance.
Language of Education and Turkish Competence Level
ITEM 15 - (1) Education language at the university is Turkish.
(2) To determine Turkish level of candidates, having no TOMER Turlish Competence Document, Turkish levels of such candidates are determined considering the score gained in Turkish competence exam applied by Department of Turkish of Education Faculty.
Considering the result of Turkish test;
85-100 scores A (Turkish is sufficient, they can continue their education),
70-84 scores B (Turkish can be improved in a short time, they can continue to their education),
50-69 scores C (Turkish can be improved, they can continue to their education),
0-49 scores F (Turkish is insufficient)
(3) The students, having no TOMER document and not succeeding in Turkish Competence Test made by Department of Turkish Language in the Faculty of Education by getting F in t test should get a year foreign language education. Supposing e exam, will be decided that they take one year off with permission by committees in departments/programs they are registered to. Students have to upgrade their Turkish level to C level in one year. Those failing this will lose their education rights to study at Mustafa Kemal University.
Foreing Language Education
ITEM 16 - (1) Students placed into departments having compulsory preparatory class and having required Turkish Competence level have to take Foreign Language Competence exam carried by “Research and Application Center of Foreign Language”. The students failing in the exam have to get education in preparatory class for a year. When they have succeeded in, they can get registered to first grade.
ITEM 17 – (1) Education tuition to be taken from foreign students is determined by Administration at University after it is defined as maximum and minimum by Council of Ministers.
Other and Final Rules
ITEM 18 - (1) Foreign students are considered according to the rules of “Education and Examination Guide of Graduate and Undergraduate of Mustafa Kemal University on the grounds of educational issues
ITEM 19 - (1) “Mustafa Kemal University Application, Registration And Acceptance Guide Of Foreign Students” approved under decision of the Senate with no 05-1 and date 14.03.2013 has been revealed.
ITEM 20 - (1) This instruction is valid following the acceptance of the Senate.
ITEM 21 - (1) The rules of this instruction is executed by Mustafa Kemal University Rectorate. 6
02.06.2014-27.06.2014: Application for Exam of Foreign Students
04.07.2014: Exam of Foreign Students (MKUYOS)
11.07.2014: Announcement of Exam Results (MKUYOS)
11.07.2014-18.07.2014: Application and Preference for Associate’s and Bachelor’s Degrees
25.07.2014: Announcement of Placement Results
18.08.2014-20.08.2014: Exact Registration Dates
21.08.2014: Turkish Proficiency Exam
22.08.2014-25.08.2014: Additional Application and Preference for Associate’s and Bachelor’s Degrees
29.08.2014: Announcement of Additional Placement Results
15.09.2014-16.09.2014: Additional Placement Registration
17.09.2014: Turkish Proficiency Exam for Additional Placements