Karamanoğlu Mehmetbey University
International Student Program Instruction for Application and Admission
ARTICLE 1- Aim
(1) The aim of this instruction is to identify the principles related to application and admission of candidates of International Student Program to associate, undergraduate and graduate degree programs.
ARTICLE 2 - Basis
(1) This instruction is organized within the frame of the decisions admitted in the meeting of Higher Education Council dated 21/01/2010 by depending on the authorization taken in Higher Education Board dated 01/02/2013 according to the item “methods of admission and principals related to foreign students and those who completed high school abroad is defined by Higher Education Council “which takes place in the different item 45/f in the law numbered 6287 of Higher Education Law in the meeting of Higher Education Executive Board dated 13/02/2013.
ARTICLE 3 - Quota Proposals
(1) The departments of our university, with their concerned board decisions, submit their International Student Program quota proposals which are defined in order not to exceed 35% of program quota except for the programs related to METEB to Rectorate untill the last work day of January. Rectorate reports quota proposals of application calendar of the university with Senate decision to Presidency of Higher Education Council.
ARTICLE 4 - Terms of Application
(1) Candidates of International Student Program who are going to be admitted to associate, undergraduate and graduate programs of Karamanoğlu Mehmetbey University can study all fields and departments without being discriminated by their nation, gender, language and religion. Election of students for these departments is made according to terms of application within the frame of basic principles of Higher Education Council below.
a) On condition that they are at the last year of secondary education or in the state of graduation:
1) Those who have the citizenship of another country,
2) Those who are native Turkish citizen and has taken permission to cease the citizenship of Turkey and those of whose infant but recorded to the certification of ceasing the citizenship of Turkey children who certify that they have the Certification Related to the Usage of Entitled Rights, ( In Law numbered 5901 in item 7 in Turkish Citizenship Law there is a provision “(1) A child born out of a Turkish mother or a father in an union of marriage in or out of Turkey is a Turkish citizen.” It is advised that Turkish citizenship Law be viewed by the candidates who are going to apply for admission quotas from abroad.)
3) Those who take the citizenship of Turkey while they have the citizenship of other country
4) Those who are the citizen of Turkey and completed their secondary education in another country except for TRNC (Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus) (including those who completed their secondary education in a Turkish school in a foreign country except for TRNC)
5) Those who are the citizen of TRNC, live in TRNC and completed secondary education in TRNC and have the certification of GCE AL exam result, and those who enrolled a college or a high school in other countries between 2005-2010 and have/are going to have the certification of GCE AL exam result is going to be admitted to their application.
b) From the applications the candidates,
1) Those who are the citizen of a foreign country and completed the whole secondary education in Turkey or in TRNC,
2) Those who have the citizenship of TRNC (except for those who completed the whole secondary education in TRNC and have the certificate of GCE AL exam result and those who enrolled a college or a high school in other countries between 2005-2010 and have/are going to have the certification of GCE AL exam result),
3) Those who are native Turkish as a first citizenship and have two citizenship identified in item a in law numbered 2 (those who completed their whole secondary education in a foreign country except for TRNC / those who completed their whole secondary education in a Turkish school in a foreign country except for TRNC)
4) Those one of whose dual nationality is the citizenship of TRNC (except for those who completed high school in TRNC and have the certificate of GCE AL exam result and those who enrolled a college or a high school in other countries between 2005-2010 and have/are going to have the certification of GCE AL exam result),
5) Those who study in the schools included in embassies and foreign high schools in Turkey or those who are native Turkish as a first citizenship and have two citizenship identified in item a in law numbered 2, are not going to be admitted.
c) Also, in order for applications of candidates to be admitted;
1) They must have at least 50 gpa (grade point average) out of 100 from where they graduate/are going to graduate and certify it,
2) They must have at least 50 points from the International Student Program taken by our university
3) They must have a health certificate which is approved by the authorized Health Institutions in their country and which shows the student does not have a contagious disease, s/he does not have a disease that is difficult to recover or incurable,
They must have an equivalent point at least 50 points from one of those ALES (Academic Personnel and Postgraduate Education Entrance Exam), Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) exams.
ARTICLE 5 - Application for a Program
(1) Explanations about application are announced in our university web site. Applications for associate and undergraduate programs between the dates stated in the University Student Affairs Office, for the applications of graduate programs are made to concerned institute in electronic format, by mail or in person.
(2) On condition that candidates who provide the terms in item 4, they must present the certifications below as well.
a) Certifications asked for the application for associate and undergraduate programs;
1) Application form (can be found on our university web site),
2) A certified copy of original high school diploma in Turkish approved by notary or consulate
3) Certification of GCE AL (if any)
4) An assurance or support letter which shows that students who are coming to Turkey from abroad has financial opportunity which enables them to study in Turkey,
5) They have to present a certified copy of their information on their identity card or passport in Turkish or English approved by notary or consulate.
b) Certifications asked for the application for graduate programs;
1) Application form (can be found on our university web site),
2) A certified copy of the original undergraduate diploma (if any, graduate diploma, too) in Turkish approved by notary or consulate
3) The original academic record (transcript) of undergraduate degree (if any graduate degree, too),
4) The certification of ALES (Academic Personnel and Postgraduate Education Entrance Exam), Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) exam result
5) An assurance or support letter which shows that students who are coming to Turkey from abroad has financial opportunity which enables them to study in Turkey,
6) A Turkish or English sample of official identity card or passport certificated by notary or consulship
7) Publications (if available)
(3) Declaration of the fees and the dates that the university senate determined is announced on the web site of the university. The application dates is announced on the academic calendar.
(4) Application address and contact numbers are announced on the web site of the university during the applications.
ARTICLE 6 - Evaluation of the Applications:
(1) The university is free to decide whether to fill the quotas or not. Having met the application condition doesn’t mean to be accepted for the program. While being placed to the program, for associate and undergraduate candidates, 90% of the their exam grade and 10% of diploma degree; for graduate candidates 90% of the their exam grade and 5% of diploma degree, 5% of Academic Personnel and Postgraduate Education Entrance Exam (ALES), Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) are taken into consideration and these grades are put in order from the highest to the lowest in accordance with the quota.
(2) The work done within these instructions is run by the Executive Council of International Student Program. The Council consists of five academic members one of whom is vice rector chosen by University Senate. In order to help students an Office of Foreign Students is established within Directorate of Student Affairs.
Duties of the Executive Council of International Student Program;
1) To determine International Student Program’s calendar and present it to the senate.
2) To form the Councils dealing with applications and exams and to prepare documents.
3) To prepare International Student Program’s exams, to do the exams and evaluate them.
4) To carry out the correspondence between the unities of the university and the country.
5) To announce the exam results and the candidates accepted to the program.
(3) The applications made to the units which accept students according to the special talent exam are evaluated in accordance with special talent exam conditions.
(4) The students’ exams who apply to the graduate programs are done by the related institutes.
ARTICLE 7 - Exam Conditions
(1) The International Student Program candidates who want to study at our university should get at least 50 points from the International Student Program Exam or Foreign Student Exam (YÖS) done in 2010 for the last time. The questions of International Student Program Exam consist of two main parts; general ability and general knowledge.
ARTICLE 8- Level of Turkish Language
(1) Students’ Turkish Language Level (including the students applying for graduate programs) is determined according to results of Turkish Language Proficiency Exam The candidates should get at least 60 points in the exam. The candidates whose mark is below 60 points should take Turkish preparation for one term and then they take Turkish Language Proficiency Exam again. The candidates who get 60 points and above can continue to the International Student Program by taking the courses which are approved by the related executive council.
ARTICLE 9 - Turkish Preparatory Class
(1) Turkish Preparatory Class is for the candidates who are not successful in Turkish Language Proficiency Exam. These candidates take this course to develop their Turkish Language knowledge. The candidates who are successful at the end of the term exam can continue to the program. The candidates who are not successful at the end of the term exam can not continue to the program and they are discharged.
(2) Turkish Language Proficiency Exam is done at the beginning of each term, totally twice a year.
(3) The terms related to the Turkish Preparatory Class are resolved in line with the advice of Literature Faculty in the university senate.
ARTICLE 10 - Language of Instruction
(1) Language of instruction is Turkish at our university but department courses or general knowledge courses may be carried on another language, too.
ARTICLE 11- The Announcement of The Results
(1) Announcement of the results is done via our university’s website. An acceptance letter for permanent candidates is sent by e-mail or postal service. New foreign undergraduate and postgraduate students accepted to the university will get a student visa from the nearest Turkish Embassy in their countries with their acceptance letters.
ARTICLE 12 - Registration
(1) Registration of the students who are going to study associate and undergraduate degrees is done by Directorate of Student Affairs; registration of the students who are going to study graduate degrees is done by related institutes.
Necessary documents for registration for associate, undergraduate degrees and graduate programs;
1) Certificate of Equivalence of undergraduate and graduate diplomas (For graduate students)
2) Student visa taken from Turkish Embassy in their countries
3) Bank receipt showing the school fee is paid
4) 6 passport photos.
ARTICLE 13- Education
(1) The students who are accepted to the International Student Program are subject to exam and education regulations set by Karamanoğlu Mehmetbey University for associate, undergraduate and graduate degrees.
(2) New foreign undergraduate and postgraduate students accepted to the university will get a student visa from the nearest Turkish Embassy in their countries with their acceptance letters. These visas are valid for a month and students should register to the university in this one-month period. The foreign students who get their student visa without fee should apply for the residence permission for their education from the governorship within a month, beginning from the date they arrive in Turkey. During the education period, if the student’s residence permission for their education is cancelled, the student should inform the Directorate of Student Affairs about their condition within a month. The students who don’t inform the Directorate of Student Affairs about their condition within a month will be discharged from the university.
ARTICLE 14 - Validity
(1) This instruction becomes valid by the senate’s decision.
ARTICLE 15 - Instruction
(1) This instruction is run by the Rector of Karamanoğlu Mehmetbey University.